So, the room is coming around nicely. I’ve purged a big box and a bag full of recyclables from my space, filled a grocery sack with items to donate to Goodwill, brainstormed some storage ideas with a friend and contemplated several different furniture arrangements. Furniture. It’s just one of those things that you can’t be sure of until you’ve drug all the pieces around and around the room to see how they look. In my head they look one way, but with such a small space, I have to be sure they work before committing to anything. I’ll have to come back to the furniture.
I’ve also washed and dusted both windows and all the surfaces I’ve uncovered to this point, removed a dead television (that I’m taking to Best Buy to be E-cycled) and vacuumed the exposed carpet. Despite the progress I’ve made, I still have a long way to go. The old ‘wooden’ desk has to be removed still and there are many things in and on it that need to find new homes.
I was feeling pretty good about the room when I got to this point:
The desk was clear and clean. I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw the top of the desk. It was inspiring. Not only because it made me feel like there might actually be hope for the room, but because I suddenly had space to work! This brings me to the diversion part of the story. You see, my laptop case is soo heavy that I can’t stand to carry it around. Plus, when I bike across town to meetings, I always wish that my laptop was in a backpack. I’ve been storing fabric swatches for weeks intending to turn them into a backpack for my computer, but haven’t had the space to actually start a project of that size. Until now.
Here is the finished pack as modelled by my son:
I scoured the internet for a pattern, but couldn’t find what I was looking for. I found laptop sleeve patterns, and laptop envelope patterns, but none of the patterns were for a backpack. I wish I had a “laptop backpack” pattern to share with you, but this is more of a protoype. I had to rework a couple of parts because they didn’t work exactly like I’d planned the first time. And, I’d put a loop on the back for hanging the pack if I were going to do it again. Also, I’d figure out a different closure system for the left pocket. But, the pack does what I need it to do and my son has already put in an order for his pack for camping.
The pack is quilted and fully lined to protect the computer and to keep it from hurting my back. The pockets on the back are made from old jeans pant-legs from when Gwen was three or four. She wore the knees out of the jeans, but the applique was so cute that I couldn’t bear to throw them away. Sometimes being a packrat pays off. The water bottle fits snugly in the pocket without any closure, so the right pocket is simply hemmed. The left pocket is for the computer charger and cords. I didn’t want them jumping out so I sewed zipper from an old pair of my jeans into the top. It’s a little awkward, but it works. The straps came from the same pair of jeans the zipper came out of. I cut strips out of the length of one of the legs and sewed them onto the pack. Another of the changes I would make in the future is to sew the straps on before the top flap so that I don’t have to work so hard to hide the raw ends of the straps. If you look closely at the bottom of the pack, you can see two metal eyelets. For some reason I thought that would be a good feature. Keys or something could hang from there.
For now, the pack will have to do. Maybe someday, when I have more time, I’ll tear it apart and rework it. If that happens, I’ll make a pattern and post it for you so that you don’t have to make it up as you go along like I did.